Throw seed bombs!
When spring is in the air
Spring is in the air. Want to give nature and wild bees a helping hand? Make and throw seed bombs!
What you need
- A small dish
- A plant spray filled with water
- A tablespoon and a teaspoon
- Flower seeds for bees (order online from e.g. www.vogelbeschermingshop.nl)
- Potting compost
- Natural clay (order online)
- A place to throw your seed bombs (your garden or local park)
What you have to do
- Put a lump of clay the size of a ping pong ball in your dish.
- Add 5 tablespoons of potting compost.
- Knead the clay and compost together. If the mixture is too dry, spray on a bit of water.
- Add a teaspoon of seeds.
- Knead the seeds into the mixture.
- Break it into 3 pieces and roll it into neat little balls.
- Leave the balls to dry out.
- Throw the seed bombs into your garden or into a plant container (NOT into a nature conservation area!).
- If you go outside, remember to keep the 1.5 metre social distancing rule.
- The seeds will soon start to grow. See if you can spot any wild bees around the flowers!