Pimp your rocks
Make a minimuseum
A museum collects objects and tells stories about them.
The Museon in The Hague has collected more than 300,000 objects! Stuffed animals, garments, musical instruments, old computers, fossils and lots and lots of stones! What do you collect? Turn your collection into your own mini-museum!
Maybe you collect stones too or you just pick one up trom time to time when you're out somewhere. lf so, it' s fun to make your own minimuseum ! Of course, if you're not interested in stones, you can do it with other things, likes leaves or shells.
We are curious about your mini-museum! Send a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Gather together all the things you want to put in your museum.
- Find a place in your house where you can make it. lt could be a small table, a corner of your bedroom floor, an empty bookshelf ... anywhere at all. Maybe you can even make it in the window, where passersby can see it!
- lf you like, you can dress it up with a cloth and, of course, it will need a signboard.
- Your display will look nicer if you put some of the objects on blocks o r stands. Find things you can use tor this or make them yourself out of Lego or Duplo. In museums, sculptures are often placed on blocks. They are called 'plinths'.
- Arrange all the stones or other objects in your collection nicely.
- Museums usually place small information boards or 'labels' by their exhibits. You can design your own labels or make a print. Just cut them out and fill out the information.
- Do your stones look a bit dull? lf so, you can paint or decorate them.
- lf you've got a very special stone, you could place a glass or clear plastic container over it. In a museum, we use glass display cases.